As with everything you buy for your baby a sling is something that you need to consider very carefully. Research is especially important with a product which is going to bear the weight of a child. Here are a few important points to bear in mind when deciding what and where to buy:
- When buying second hand, make sure you ask about the condition of the item, and where possible, buy a brand that you have heard recommended before.
- When something appears to be too good to be true it often is. Make sure you are not buying an inferior quality counterfeit item by purchasing from a reputable retailer.
- A good seller will never mind you asking questions about the safety of a product or their liability insurance.
- Before using a sling make sure that it looks secure. It should have no holes, loose threads or stitching coming undone.
- If you have a sling and you are unsure of its safety ask someone else to check it over before using it. Your child is precious, and although most slings are safe and made by people who know what they are doing, as with any products you use for your child, you need to be certain. It is better to be safe than sorry.
All the links provided on this site are to reputable sellers who have received at least three recommendations from a panel of experienced sling users. This does not mean that you will not have a good experience with someone else, or that these sellers are infallible, but they are a good place to start.
- A minimum of 3 positive feedback on a recognised public babywearing forum or website.
- At least 6 months trading.
In the case of negative as well as positive feedback the team will make a case by case decision.
Internet shops selling a variety of slings and sling accessories:
Sling makers retailing their own brand of slings:
- Calin Bleu
Woven wraps, stretchy wraps.
- Kari Me Baby Carriers
- Lifft Slings
- Oscha Slings
Woven Wraps, made in Scotland
In stock ring slings, custom pouches and ring slings, custom wrap to ring sling conversions.
- Rose and Rebellion
Soft structured carriers.
- Sa-Be Babywear